Our little pumpkin turns one month old! She's been sleeping most of the first month, but we've gotten some serious faces as well and sleeping giggles from our little lady.
The first month has been a pretty good one minus all the illness. Here's the report out on the first month for the well-child check up.
Weight: 10 lbs, 1 oz (60th percentile)
Height: 21.5 in.
Head: 14.5 in.
Blowout poos: None!
Times she's peed on us during a diaper change: less than 5
Number of times sick: 2
Number of ER visits: 2 (within a 12-hour time period too!)
Number of times Derek has asked why: COUNTLESS
Percent of time Derek likes having a sister: 30%
Nursing had been great. She latched on from the start. My let-down has been difficult for her to
control at times and I think that discourages her from comfort nursing. Unlike Dek who would just hang out and eat for hours. Q likes to only nurse on one side for 15 minutes, gets burped and goes back to sleep. She's ruthlessly efficient. I offer other times in between but it doesn't seem that she's that interested which disappoints my pro-breastfeeding side.
Ah everyone's favorite topic. She is really great. By no means is she sleeping through the night and I have no expectations of her for doing so for awhile, but she will sleep in 3-4 hour stretches. This is something that Derek rarely did. So if I get 2 blocks of 3 hours of sleep, I feel like a million bucks. I've scaled down alot this time around in terms of visitors, going back to "normal" life and have enjoyed our cuddle times and staring contests. I've really taken to heart what people say about how short the newborn and baby period is (because its so true!) and instead of resenting having to hold her all the time - I really love it. Sometimes I don't want to put her down at all and let her just sleep on me - though I'm pretty sure that's what contributed to my mastitis. The co-sleeping this time has really saved me some sanity and sleep.
- Smiles! Though Q seems to be pretty serious for the camera, we do get to see her smile and it just melts us (of course).
- Neck support - Q started holding up her neck around 3 weeks.
- Tummy time: hates it after about 2 minutes.
- Yelp! She's been a pretty quiet baby. Not a lot of crying, but she does do this cute little yelp thing when she is unhappy with something. She is cooing a bit and learning to do something besides yelping.
- Pooing - everyone's favorite topic! Let's say she goes with regularity (every diaper change!). I think the Anti-Colic diet my midwives recommended has been hugely helpful.