Friday, April 11, 2014

The Birth Story

Dek Sending Mama to the Hospital (7:30pm, 3/31/14)
Here is the scoop I can remember one day how Miss Quinn came into the world. This is very long, and pretty boring with some excitement at the end.

Summary (for those that can't be bored with the details, because trust me, I usually only care for the highlights and 3-bullet version of the story as well):  Didn't really know I was in labor. Doula kind of delayed us going to the hospital for a few hours, which mean we only really got to the hospital when I was 10cm dialated (!) and 30 minutes later baby was out! It was intense. Pat, pat myself on the back for natural birth #2. In fact, it was so rushed, they didn't have time to put an IV or anything on me. My water never broke, so we didn't discover Quinn had meconium until the end and the cord was wrapped around her neck (probably why she pooed herself). She came out with poo on her leg, so we didn't get to do the immediate bonding as the Pediatric team whisked her away to be suctioned. Luckily it wasn't too long before we were reunited. In fact, I didn't even know she was a girl until someone shouted it over to me. Ta-da. Afterwards, I got up and peed. It was awesome.

The Detailed Timeline... from what I can remember:

[7:00am] I woke up with strange cramps (again) and figured it was just Braxton-Hicks (e.g. false labor) which had been going on all night anyway. I've had a few nights/days of these already. Trust me, very pleasant to be sitting through hours long technical meetings with these puppies rippling through your uterus. Not.

I was at 39 weeks and drinking Red Rasberry Leaf Tea and taking Evening Primrose Oil religiously, so I figured it could be any day, but still hoping not today because 1) our Doula was out of town and 2) I had a job interview on Monday, so was hoping the baby would at least wait until Tuesday out of consideration. Unlike with Derek, I didn't lose my plug, but did have some spotting so I thought... maybe it could be happening today.

[11:00am] The intermittent contractions are still coming about 10-15 minutes apart, which makes me think it could be early labor. I decide to call the miwife on call, Marsha, so that they could be prepared in case I needed to come in later in the day. I was pretty doubtful at that point, so I just continued with my day. Drink a cup of red rasberry tea to see if it makes a difference. Not really.

[12:30pm] Had to eat a Thai Square lunch. Last time in labor, I had the spicy seafood, this time I was much more reasonable and decided to just get the fried rice. I packed my hospital bag, which includes all kinds of stuff since I wanted to be prepared for the long run. Print out the birth plan. Have the birthing ball nearby, pack 3-4 labor outfits in case I want to get in and out of the tub/shower.

[1:30pm] Contractions are still coming about 10-15 minutes apart and mild, so I decide to lay down with Derek for a nice 2 hour break.

[5:00pm] My grandma decided to visit (!) and I don't want to get her hopes up so I basically ignore my contractions for 2 hours and tell her everything is fine and not to worry but baby will be coming next week.

[7:00pm] Hmmm. The contractions are still coming. I think, maybe we should take Derek to my sister's house... just in case. We're weighing the logistics of how we may have to retrieve him in the morning in case this isn't the real deal. Remember, all I have are some mild to stronger contractions... they are increasing in intensity but not to the point that I can affirmatively say - this is it! I thought I was supposed to know the second time around, but alas I am clueless. Called my Doula, she's just leaving NY since her flight was delayed and should be back around 9pm.

[7:30pm] I drive (!) over to my sister's house since we have to leave a car there for her. I am having contractions along the way, there are 2 in a span of 15 minutes. So maybe its getting closer.

[8:30pm] Decide I need snacks for labor, so we drive to Trader Joe's so I can get apple sauce and soup. Yes, priorities people.

[9:30pm] OK. Now things are starting to really get rolling. I start up the app to time things. Call the doula again - things are about 5-7 minutes apart. Switch on the hypnobirthing tape and listen to the nice Marie Mongan tell me how "my baby and my body" know what to do. I listened to this tape for months on end with Derek and then this time around not so much. I find it incredibly cheesy, but something about it makes labor more manageable so I don't knock it.

[11:30pm] I'm doing all kinds of crazy stuff the doula is suggesting (side lying releases? tummy tucks?) She says I'm "pretty calm" so its probably not needed to go to the hospital too early. I take a shower and think, wow, I wish I had the contractions from 9pm or earlier now. We are timing things and its still like 3-5 minutes apart, but only about 30-45 seconds.

[12:15am] Called the midwife. She mentions I could "turn the corner quickly" in active labor so possibly consider coming in the next hour. They are very good about asking - 1) what number baby? 2) Group B positive? Water still hasn't broken, nor has plug appeared. Very weird.

[1:13am] Realizing I am NOT going to make it to the job interview. I emailed the point of contact. Yes at 1 am because I don't want to forget the next day.

[1:41am] Alright, this is getting ridiculous. We gotta go to the hospital since the contractions are like 2-3 minutes apart. It takes so long to load the car since I overpacked and am demanding my yoga ball and mat. It takes forever to get to the car since the contractions are close and reallllly intense.

[1:58am] We finally are in the car. Its torturous and I'm wondering. Why didn't I leave earlier! Its ok though, there is no traffic, but I do have 4 contractions in 12 minutes. Of course, I don't think I'm even half way there and getting pretty annoyed that my "second birth" is taking longer. Since my labor started around the same time, I had a direct comparison chart running through my head and started to get annoyed that baby #2 was taking sooooo much longer. How dare s/he!

[2:12am] We park. I walk to labor and delivery. Wheelchairs are for wusses I think, plus I can still walk though its getting increasingly challenging to do so.

[2:17am] Mike signs in and starts the paperwork. I'm walking around L&D listening to other people yell as I continue to roam the halls. I request a room with tub (its available!)  I am really annoyed that Mike is filling out paperwork and doula is nowhere to be seen and I'm trying to pee without having to melt onto the floor. Wah. I'm really annoyed.

[2:30am] I cannot hold still for ANY of the intake - e.g. the fetal heart monitor, forget it. No time for the heplock. Mike is asking for my social security number and I'm having a ridiculous time. My doula isn't there yet, though I have called her over an hour ago. Then I tell my midwife, um, I kind of feel so pressure to push.

She tells me, well, let's just check and see how far along I am because "you could have your baby right now and this could all be over with." Sounds awesome to me.. I have to put a plug in for how much I love midwife care here - this is the ONLY time I had an internal exam my entire pregnancy... and voila - I was 10 cm dilated and ready to push.

Doula hasn't arrived. Water not broken. Baby about to come out. Whaaaaaaaaaaa. Next it happens quickly.

There are 2 sets of pushes. I think I'm going to pass out. Up until this point, I was very zen and doing the very long yoga breathing that I've been practicing for months, but when the pushing happens. There is a lot of shouting. Not the sweating, squished faces that they make on TV. I'm talking full on yelping.

[2:57am] One more push, baby is almost out, but the bag of water still intact (man, it was stubborn!). Midwife asks if its OK to break it b/c there might be meconium. I agree. Next push and the baby is out! She looks all grayish, has cord around her neck and cries a bit. They are clamping her cord to be cut and I notice poo all over her leg (yuck!).  The very able pediatric team takes her to the side to suction the poo out. Mike will have to give you the details since I'm still utterly confused that its been about 30 minutes since we arrived and baby is outside of me.

And ta-da. Quinn Luu arrives. Apgar scores were 8/8/9 at 1/5/10 minutes. Poo was out and she was a happy little chickeroo happily nursing a few minutes later.

I'm totally confused that I have given birth, but it happened so fast. I was able to walk to the nursery a few minutes later when they have to do her tests.  I feel pretty relieved to NOT be in labor anymore. Disclaimer: Totally a crunchy hippie that believes in natural birth and all that jazz, but man, is it not a fun thing to go through!

1 comment:

  1. Love this account of L&D. Such a unique birth story! So glad mom and Quinn were well. <3